Since November 1996 women legally have the right to access abortion in South Africa up to the 20th week of pregnancy.
By Dr Dulcy Rakumakoe
20 Jun 2022
In South Africa, a woman of any age can get an abortion by simply requesting with no reasons given if she is less than 13 weeks pregnant.
If she is between 13 and 20 weeks pregnant, she can get the abortion if:
- Her own physical or mental health is at
- The baby will have severe mental or
- She is pregnant because of incest
- She is pregnant because of rape
- She is of the personal opinion that her
economic or social situation is sufficient reason for the termination of
- If she is more than 20 weeks pregnant,
she can get the abortion only if she or the foetus’ life is in danger or
there are likely to be serious birth defects.